With all the doom and gloom out there one needs a little joy as we take things day by day in isolation. This recipe is full of flavour and will brighten things up for you, a dish that will please both vegetarians and meat-eaters. As much as I enjoy steamed rice I have had enough of it so far, it’s time to spice things up. Use up some leftover rice or cook it from scratch works either way.
Use any mix of vegetables that you have at hand.
- 1 cup cooked cool rice
- 1 small to medium onion
- Peppers (any colour), 1 garlic clove, 1 chilli (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 Cardamom seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp ground coriander
- Bring the rice to the boil and add the vegetable stock cube. Make sure the rice is not overcooked and set aside to cool down.
- Chop, add to baking tray the cauliflower florets, onion, chilli and peppers then mix in a tbsp of oil, cumin seeds and half the ground coriander then grill for about 20 minutes. Make sure it is nice and tender and slightly crisp once done.
- Get a separate pan to add the remaining oil and fry the rest of the spices with garlic, then add the rice, chickpeas and grilled vegetables. Mix it all together then pour in the coconut milk. Let it all heat through for a minute and its ready to serve.